Thursday, December 11, 2014

Ho Ho Ho Pulling out the Tree For the Grandson



It's been about seven years since we've bothered to decorate for Christmas. Since we are childless by choice and both of us had been working good paying jobs until I got the crazy idea to write, we always just bought what we wanted and didn't even bother with gifts for each other, except for maybe three times in several decades. Most of those gifts ended up being returned or put on the rummage sale pile.

But now things are different. As I've mentioned in past blogs. we have a grandson by love. He is now three, and for the first time will be in town for Christmas. Oh, believe me, Christmas is a BIG DEAL to this guy. And it should be. I have happy memories of many a grand Christmas growing up. Perhaps that's why I don't feel the need to do it up as an adult. There is no way I could mimic the perfection of the Christmas's my parents gave me. Think epic Christmas movie in all it's splendor and you wouldn't even come close.

But now that Gideon knows what Christmas is, and will be in town, we dug out the tree, fibromyalgia be damned. I got it decorated, and it looks lovely even if I say it myself. What few other decorations we didn't ditch at a garage sale several years ago are also displayed. It makes an acceptable Christmas scene. Thank God. As a child I remember going to "old people's" homes where they didn't decorate. It made me sure they were mean and crabby.

Well, color me Santa, I don't want to be seen as a Grinch. So, the lights on the tree are lit, decor is out and even played with at times under close supervision. Gifts will be under the tree. He always did get plenty of gifts from us, but this time they will be sitting under evergreen branches like they should be.

Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas, or happy whatever holiday you prefer to celebrate, to you. We are really looking forward to seeing Christmas magic again through the eyes of a three-year-old boy.

Now where did I put the Bailey's Irish Creme? A few slugs of that will make the holidays even merrier, I'm sure.

Caddy Rowland is a novelist and painter. Her social media links follow.
To find out about her novels visit http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B005FW8BZE
Sign up for New Release Newsletter by Email: http://eepurl.com/rfjaX
Author Email: caddyauthor@gmail.com
Twitter: @caddyorpims         

No comments:

Post a Comment