Now it is not recommended by either health professions or weight loss companies because it is very high in cholestral. Really? That is the reason they have all decided that it is not wise to eat liver? Hmmmm. How about the fact that it is just plain filthy? Did that never occur to you?
High cholestral or not, do you really think it is in your best interest to ingest an organ full of all of the things it was trying to keep away from an animal? Isn't this sort of the same as eating an automobile's air filter? On second thought, the air filter might be more healthy. Truly.
Besides, there is nothing in the world that tastes worse than liver. That horrible taste is natures way of saying "Attention: Hey, dumbass, you aren't supposed to eat this organ! It has filtered out lots of things that could have made the animal sick...and YOU are an animal! At least, biologically. Mentally, that may be a stretch. REPEAT: DO NOT CONSUME!"
Do we heed the taste warning? Do we notice the slick goo that coats it and think, "Gee, maybe this is not such a good idea?" Well, some of us do. Some still proceed and chomp away on a helping of chemicals, disease and God knows what that was stored in that organ, keeping the animal from getting sick. All righty then.
And, please, don't advise me that the flavor can be "covered up" with onions. First of all, nothing could cover up the taste short of cutting off ones tongue. Secondly, if the taste needs covering up, perhaps it is not such a great thing to ingest in the first place. (Just like duck or venison. Hey, if you have to hide the taste with grape juice, 7-up, or other things in the roasting pan then pick another meat.) The point is trying to make a good tasting meal, not playing hide or seek. Now you taste it, now you don't. You wish.
No, I don't eat mold or fungi and I don't eat disease filters. Although I do hear that furnace filters can be quite tasty, if you add enough 7-up.